DocBook stylesheet for Prince

havard

Havard
Staff member
Admin
Hoppy Gorilla
I1643596704729.png'm replicating and enhancing my old FrameMaker stylesheet, but now in CSS for DocBook. The general feel is IBM-esque, but with Meta and Meta Serif as the typefaces instead of probably Helvetica, and probably Times New Roman, but sometimes other fonts that sort of look the same (such as Arial and Palatino). As of right now, I have barely scratched the surface of what is needed to be a complete setup, but it gets the job done.

As mentioned in the title, I am using Prince 14 for the XML-to-PDF rendering as it gives a relatively complete implementation of CSS for paged media at a reasonable price. I considered Antenna House's Formatter, but the full version is outside of my budget, and the Lite version has too many limitations to be useful for me. Developing an XSL-FO stylesheet without any sort of tools is a big pain, so Apache FOP is out of the question, and if I'm unwilling to pay for a permanent license for Antenna House, I'm certainly not spending money on a subscription product that costs the same per year as the one time cost of AH. There are a couple of open source XML+CSS-to-PDF projects out there, but for one reason or another I went with Prince.

Last edited:

havard

Havard
Staff member
Admin
Hoppy Gorilla
Quick checkpoint... the css and sample docbook xml file are in the hxdocbook.zip, while the sample output is in the pdf, obviously.

Note that Prince loads the fonts directly rather than going through windows.

Attachments

• hxdocbook.zip
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • stupid_docbook.pdf
    907.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: