Streaming Services...

havard

Havard
Staff member
Admin
Hoppy Gorilla
With the new South Park special out, it's making me want to pay for Paramount+. The question is... should I?

ServiceApproximate Hours / mo$/mo$/hr watchedwatched hrs/$What to watch
Discovery+24$6.99$0.293.43BattleBots, Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch, old Unsolved Mysteries, various random things
Peacock12$8.33$0.691.44Blacklist, Resident Alien, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, SNL, handful of classics
Prime Video0.16$4.96 (as fraction of Prime)$30.990.03Not much I like
Shudder2$5.99$3.000.33The Last Drive In, random things
Netflix20$13.99$0.701.43The home of the random
Paramount+32 (est)$9.99$0.313.20Quite a bit going on there
Paramount+Showtime36 (est)$12.99$0.362.77A little more...
HBO Max8 (est)$14.99$3.750.27Another place of random shows
Sling40$35$0.881.14Direct replacement for Satellite
Dish Network40$120$3.000.33Because you want more channels for the same price as cable, which you probably can't get anyways.
Disney+ / Hulu / ESPN+4$19.99$5.000.20Archer reruns, Futurama reruns, Designing Women reruns, Golden Girls reruns, ABC news, the other late night Jimmy, and a whole bunch of other stuff that is available on Discovery+, Peacock, and Paramount+, and for ESPN+ my favorite sport - NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION
Hulu4$12.99$3.250.31Most of the above, but without the Disney+ and sportsball snark.

As it stands, the best bang for the buck on a streaming service I have based on amount spent per hour watched is Discovery+ while the worst is Prime Video. If I were actually honest with the amount of time I spent watching D+, mostly rewatching BattleBots episodes, it would look even better. The weird outlier is Shudder, which I rarely watch, but is the most satisfying for what I get out of it. Watching the occasional The Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs is worth every penny. For every year that Prime Video has been a thing, I watch about two hours per year rather than some hours per month. Even worse, every movie I've wanted to watch on Prime is not included with the Prime subscription, but is a separate purchase, so I don't include that here.

So, it looks like the Paramount+ with Showtime bundle will definitely give me much more to watch, while HBO Max probably isn't worth it for me.

(edit note: added Sling and Dish for comparison)
(edit note: added D+/Hulu/ESPN+

Last edited:

havard

Havard
Staff member
Admin
Hoppy Gorilla
Also... viewing the list of shows of a random streaming service... they are literally using, "Hey, remember that show you loved but we canceled... want to pay money to rewatch it and we'll still never make any more episodes?"

havard

Havard
Staff member
Admin
Hoppy Gorilla
Should also note that the $120 Dish package includes a lot of channels and the DVR, it's still a live TV service with minimal on-demand features. It cost $50 when I first started, but they added three times the channels over the 20 years I had the service, went from SD to HD, added local channels over the satellite, and for zero cost to me replaced the single feed dish with one that could see four satellites, all to support that HD. I probably would have kept that $120 service and not gone with any streaming service if it weren't for the fact that trees that are not on my property had grown tall enough to block half the satellites, in particular, the one with the local channels. It forced me to re-evaluate whether or not it was worth the effort to have the dish moved to a new spot versus how much TV I was watching, which at the time had actually decreased.

Should also note that the Dish receiver was perfectly happy to bring in an over-the-air antenna for the local channels and would actually have the full schedule for the OTA local channels and properly DVR those things.

rsayers

Hoppy Gorilla
Staff member
Hoppy Gorilla
Little Jumpy Monkey
Exclusive Gold Banner #221,348,771 Blue (1 of 1)
We're using:
  • Netflix
  • Hulu + Live TV
  • Paramount+
  • HBO Max
  • Disney+
  • Prime
I think that's it. I tried Discovery+ but cancelled before the trial was over. Probably dropping the live tv from Hulu as we don't use it that often aside from news, which is also free on Pluto, which is a pretty great service considering it's free, doesnt even require a signup

havard

Havard
Staff member
Admin
Hoppy Gorilla
I just can't bring myself to spend $65 per month (increasing to $69.99/mo in four days) for live local channels when I can run a plex server with a couple of HD HomeRun receivers wired up to a $15 antenna for half the annual cost. I mean... after about 15 months you've broken even on the costs of a dedicated computer for your plex server and the other hardware, though I guess it does include all the cable news channels, sports channels, in addition to locals.

Ooh... completely forgot about Disney+ and Hulu... which is crazy since they own about 80% of American Pop Culture. The hulu/d+/espn+ combo looks pretty reasonable at $12.99/mo, err wait that's just Hulu, maybe not at $19.99/mo combo. On the plus side, Hulu also lets you watch ABC Instant Access. I updated the table above. Based on what I want to watch... I just don't see it being worth it for the combo, but Hulu alone (ad-free) looks okay, and once again, that does give you ABC, too.

So, with Discovery+, Peacock, Prime, Shudder, Paramount+Showtime, Netflix, and Hulu that would bring my monthly streaming to $61.28 before tax. I'm sure these prices will start climbing soon and we'll be back to spending $175/mo for TV.

rsayers

Hoppy Gorilla
Staff member
Hoppy Gorilla
Little Jumpy Monkey
Exclusive Gold Banner #221,348,771 Blue (1 of 1)
We actually dont watch anything local. We got the live tv originally just for watching the Oscars last year and never cancelled it since we have been watching it off and on.

havard

Havard
Staff member
Admin
Hoppy Gorilla
I have whipped up an excel spreadsheet to help keep up with this. On the downside, you'll need to log what you watch, on the plus side, it should give you an accurate picture after a week or so, assuming your average week is pretty normal. Otherwise, maybe give it a month.

Attachments

• TV Viewing Log.xlsx
    25.2 KB · Views: 0

havard

Havard
Staff member
Admin
Hoppy Gorilla
For the week of 12/16/2021 to 12/23/2021
ServiceHourshrs/moMonthly Cost$/hrhr/$
Overall
16.38​